Savor-Moments-of-Joy-and-Peace

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Day 2


Howdy, y’all!

Ok, tonight’s hotel (Staybridge Suites, Tyler) is a pretty cool place! It has a full kitchen (complete with a stove, dishwasher, and dishes!) and half a dozen communal grill in the courtyard, as well as the normal amenities (free wi-fi, free parking, hot breakfast, fitness center, etc).  When I checked in I found that they, too, had upgraded my reservation!  I name most of my trips (the last one was The Taste of Texas Travails) and this one is going to need to include “Upgraded” in the title…it should probably include something about colleges, too since I’ve now been to UT (Austin’s LBJ Library), Texas A&M (Bush, Sr), Steven F Austin University (Nacogdoches…where Al and Susan did and do – respectively - work), and whatever Dallas university houses GW’s Library. 

Of course I don’t really need two bedrooms (one of which has two beds) since I’m traveling alone, but I was tempted to pretend to be Goldilocks: this bed is too hard; this bed is too soft; this bed is just right…LOL!  They put me on the top floor – ok, there are only three - so there aren’t any people stomping around above my head.  I picked up some wine coolers, started the ice maker in my fridge (so I won’t have to feel guilty about replenishing my cooler in the morning) and am relaxing with wine cooler in hand in “my living room” as I write this.  Ahhhh, life is good.  But enough about the accommodations…this is a daily recap, after all…it’s going to be much shorter than yesterday because I didn’t make nearly as many stops today.

I was right yesterday…a little extra shut-eye was in order following my 22-hour day.  I originally planned to leave the hotel by 9:20…I felt lucky to leave before the official check-out time of noon!  After a slow start (involving sleeping in, a leisurely breakfast while watching the news, posting yesterday’s recap on my blog, and a nice long shower), I headed to the Bush (senior) Library.

I found out what the “A” in Texas A&M stands for and what they’re called: Aggies (for Agriculture…still no idea about the “M”, though).  The campus is huge and lovely.  Of course, this is Texas so I should have expected large.  After cruising around in a few of their parking lots (yes, my GPS sent me to the wrong place again…I guess East and West on street names really do matter…LOL!), I finally asked a young lady for directions and found the place.  I didn’t spend long there since I got a late start but I have pictures (thanks to a volunteer docent) to prove that I made it.

When I left, I called my friends to let them know that I was on my way and was told that it should take me about two hours to get there…it was more than three.  My route included a (mostly) two-lane road where the other drivers obviously didn’t get the memo about using the breakdown lane as a courtesy “let me move over so you can pass and keep doing the speed limit” lane.  There were tons of cops out so anyone who has driven with me would be proud of me for controlling my lead foot on this trip…but I digress.  They were doing construction on this two-lane road…turning it into one lane (about 5 miles long in each of three separate sections!) which meant one way would stop for about 15 minutes while the other direction went, then we went for about 15 minutes, then they went…well, you get the picture…with nowhere to turn off (and no alternate routes available).  I did get to see some wildflowers (although the bluebonnets are mostly gone already…I saw some yesterday near Austin but not very many today), cows, and horses.  I did eventually reach my destination (although too late to see Nacogdoches’ Millard’s Crossing Historic Village – Susan says that Corsicana’s Village is better so I don’t feel too bad about missing this one) and had a lovely visit with my friends.

We went out for Tex-Mex food and a driving tour of the historic section of the town and the University.  The food was good, the downtown square quaint and cool, the school grounds lovely (there were flowers – not bluebonnets – blooming and I got pictures), and the companionship was priceless.  This was (at least in my mind) the main reason for my trip.  By forgoing most of my sight-seeing plans for the day, I was able to spend more time with them…and it was well worth it.

Now I’m settled into my hotel, I’ve finished a couple of wine coolers, and it’s time to get some rest before tackling tomorrow’s schedule which includes two museums, two photo op visits, a scrapbook store, dinner with my cousin, and 6+ hours of driving. I wonder if tomorrow night’s hotel will have a hot tub?  A girl can hope.

Good night, all.  Happy trails!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home